The University of Florida’s online Master of Science in Microbiology & Cell Science with a concentration in Medical Microbiology and Biochemistry
This 30-credit master’s degree is offered fully online and can be completed from anywhere in the world. Take an in-depth look at microbiology as you earn your master’s degree in as little as 1 year. Courses include a mixture of intensive one-credit modules and three-credit classes.
Most students entering this program have a background in microbiology or biochemisty. An introductory track addressing the fundamentals of biochemistry and the biology of microogranisms engages students in the upper-level learning required for the program and empowers them to transition in without delaying completion expectancy.
Students without a background in microbiology or biochemistry will be required to enter the introductory track and take fundamental courses before proceeding to the regular courses. This track empowers students to transition into microbiology without delaying completion expectancy.
A master’s degree will broaden your career choices in marketing, sales, administrative, teaching and technical support positions. Opportunities include:
- Supervisor or laboratory manager – Supervises day to day activities in a variety of laboratories.
- Research manager or associate – Performs experiments and provides technical support to research teams.
- Instructor – Teaches courses at the community and junior college levels.
Advanced topics include:
- Microbiology of human pathogens
- Molecular biology of gene expression
- Bacterial physiology
- Ethics in genetics
- DNA and RNA viruses
Benefits of UF’s online master’s degree in microbiology and cell science include:
- Convenient online courses with asynchronous components so you can complete your degree on your own time
- Access to expert faculty who also teach on-campus
- Campus visits and laboratory time are not required
- Enhance career opportunities