The University of Florida’s online Master of Science in Microbiology & Cell Science with a concentration in Medical Microbiology and Biochemistry
This 30-credit master’s degree is offered entirely online with asynchronous elements and can be completed anywhere at your own pace. Take an in-depth look at microbiology and earn your master’s degree in as little as one year without required campus or laboratory visits. Courses include a mixture of intensive 1-credit modules and 3-credit classes.
Why Choose UF
- US News and World Report ranked UF as a top 50 national university (including public and private colleges) in 2018.
- UF is home to the largest microbiology department in the United States, allowing us to recruit the best faculty.
- The concentration in medical microbiology and biochemistry demonstrates a dedication to higher learning which will help you stand out on your professional school applications.
Advanced Career Opportunities
Our broad program allows you to diversify your career options and make yourself a more versatile and in-demand asset in the workforce. Potential job opportunities include biochemists and biophysicists, medical scientists, bioinformatics scientists, physicians and surgeons. Each of these occupations enjoys a higher median salary and occupation growth rate compared to all other professions in the United States.
You can expect to gain a comprehensive knowledge in several microbiology topics, including bioinformatics, molecular biology, virology and immunology. For more details, please visit the course schedule page.
Students without a background in microbiology or biochemistry will be required to enter the introductory track and take fundamental courses before proceeding to the regular courses. This track, consisting of two courses (Fundamentals of Biochemistry and the Biology of Microorganisms) for 7 credits, will empower you to transition into microbiology without delaying completion expectancy. This track is offered year-round, so you can start the program when it is convenient for you.
A master’s degree will broaden your career choices in marketing, sales, administrative, teaching and technical support positions. Opportunities include:
- Supervisor or laboratory manager – supervises day-to-day activities in a variety of laboratories.
- Research manager or associate – performs experiments and provides technical support to research teams.
- Instructor – teaches courses at the community and junior college levels.
Advanced topics include:
- Microbiology of human pathogens
- Molecular biology of gene expression
- Bacterial physiology
- Ethics in genetics
- DNA and RNA viruses
Benefits of UF’s online master’s degree in microbiology and cell science include:
- Convenient online courses with asynchronous components so you can complete your degree on your own time
- Access to expert faculty who also teach on-campus
- No required campus visits or laboratory time
- Enhanced career opportunities